As you continue to grow and become stronger it is important to challenge the body with;
1. More reps - Adding an extra 1 or 2 reps to increase muscle endurance. I would recommend this if you are wanting to correct your posture.
2. Changing the time and tempo of the exercises - Making the movement slower or faster will activate different muscle twitches. Slower motions will help you to learn new exercises by increasing the intensity of the exercise, while faster motions will increase the cardio exertion.
3. Change the exercise - This is my personal go to when training clients at a higher fitness level. This makes the workout more exciting, while sticking to a hypertrophy workout.
Here are my top 9 intermediate exercises.
Perform 10-15 reps of each exercise 2 or 3 times, 3- 5 times a week for at least 3 months to feel the benefits. Change the exercises after a month to keep seeing progress. You may feel muscle soreness also know as DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) set in 24-48 hours after the workout and can last up to a week, the more you work out the less pain you will feel. The exercise with a *** next to them are harder then others so once you are able to complete 15 reps without difficulty try one of the more challenging ones.
(Please pick the exercises you are comfortable with. To learn how to correct your form while doing these exercises take a look at core basics. If you are ready for a challenge have a look at core advance).
1. Alternate straight leg lowers - Laying on your back with your hands by your sides. keep your legs straight and up towards the ceiling/sky. Lower 1 leg towards the floor keeping your hips rotated forwards and your lower back flat to the floor. Join legs together and repeat on the other side.
2. Straight leg lowers ***This exercises is a harder variation to alternate straight leg lower***- Laying on your back with your hands by your sides. keep your legs straight and up towards the ceiling/sky. Lower both legs towards the floor keeping your hips rotated forwards and your lower back flat to the floor. Return to the starting position.
3. Hollow body hold - Starting in a Dead bug position (see Core basics exercise 3) straighten out your legs as low as you can to the floor. Keep your hips rotated forward and lower back to the ground. Hold this position.
4. Reach to touch your toes straight legs - Laying on your back with your hands up towards your legs, Keep your legs straight and up towards the ceiling/sky. crunch you stomach muscles and reach towards your toes.
5. Side plank lifts, top leg straight - Starting on your side prompt up on your elbow (elbow slightly away from you). bend your bottom leg behind you keeping it in line from your knees to your head and straighten out your top leg directly on top. The hand which is off the floor place onto your side. Raise your hip off the floor by pushing your elbow and knee towards the floor then return to the starting position.
6. Side plank lift with straight legs ***This exercises is a harder variation to Side plank lift top leg straight*** - Starting on your side prompt up on your elbow and slightly away from you. Keeping both legs straight and in line with your body. The hand which is off the floor place onto your side. Raise your hip off the floor by pushing your elbow and feet towards the floor then return to the starting position
7. Side crunch reach to touch ankles - laying on your back with your feet off the floor, knees bent in to your stomach and hands by your legs. Raise your shoulders and head off the floor. Reach to one side of your body towards your ankle and return to the starting position. repeat on the opposite side.
8. Back raise arms by your ears - Laying on your front, arms by your ears and feet together. Raise your chest and legs off the floor keeping your knees straight and arms by your ears .
9. High plank hold - Standing on your hands and feet. Rotate your hips forward to engage the lower stomach muscles. Keep your shoulders in line with your wrist and hips while holding this position.
Next week I will be posting Core Advance which will be the last of the core section of this year where you will learn the main floor exercises before adding equipment.
Followed by Food Groups out on 16th October.
See you next week